The 2nd-generation of the GLA, Mercedes-Benz’s premium compact crossover, is now available in South Africa.
The first incarnation of the GLA was undoubtedly a success from its launch in 2014; Mercedes-Benz sold no fewer than 1 million units worldwide. But whereas the 1st generation model was essentially a high-riding and glammed up variant of the A-Class premium compact hatchback, the 2nd-generation model is different – and better for it. Developed as part of an 8-strong line-up of compact Mercedes-Benz models, the GLA has been endowed with the necessary design and engineering scope to evolve into a much more rounded and talented rival to the Audi Q3 and BMW X1.
While the mechanical similarities to its lower-riding A-Class hatchback remain, a whole host of unique touches help not only to provide the 2nd-generation GLA with a more standalone character, but to instil the car with the inherent qualities to make it more appealing on many fronts. Key design features include power domes in the bonnet, a single-louvre grille with a central star and all-round protective cladding for rugged appeal.
Mercedes-Benz says that front headroom has increased as the GLA now stands some 110 mm higher than the outgoing model. More than this, rear legroom is also claimed to be more generous even though the GLA measures 15 mm shorter than before. The wheelbase has grown by 30 mm.
Apart from increases in legroom and headroom, the luggage capacity has grown too and the rear seats can split in a 40:20:40 configuration. Plus, with optional fore/aft adjustment of the rear seats, you can slide the entire rear seat bench by up to 90 mm to the front and 50 mm to the rear.
In the South African market, the GLA range comes standard with front fog lights, seat-comfort package, automatic climate control, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, electric-folding side mirrors, a 7-inch MBUX touchscreen multimedia infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability. Safety equipment includes an electric parking brake, ABS, Brake Assist, ESP and dual front-, driver knee and curtain airbags.
Available trim lines
With the Style design and equipment line, the GLA comes with additional features such as ARTICO man-made leather/Bertrix fabric black upholstery, Ellipse-look interior trim elements, a leather-trimmed multifunction sports steering wheel, a double cupholder, polished aluminium roof rails and aerodynamically optimised 17-inch light-alloy wheels.
With the Progressive design and equipment line, the GLA comes with additional features such as ARTICO man-made leather/Fléron fabric black upholstery, Spiral-look trim elements, a leather-trimmed multifunction sports steering wheel, a double cupholder, polished aluminium roof rails and 18-inch 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels.
The AMG Line reinforces the GLA’s attractive sporty appearance with a diamond-pattern radiator grille, an AMG body kit (including a rear apron with diffuser look), 15mm-lowered comfort suspension, polished aluminium roof rails and 19-inch AMG 5-twin-spoke tantalite grey light-alloy wheels.
Inside, the AMG Line features a multifunction sports steering wheel in fine nappa leather with a flat-bottomed section, front sports seats, ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre black upholstery, carbon-structure trim elements, a double cup holder, as well as AMG floor mats.
The limited Edition 1, which builds on the AMG Line, additionally features LED static headlamps, black roof rails, as well as 20-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in high-gloss black and with rim flange in ember red and a profiled hub cover. The interior features exclusive seats trimmed in perforated leather, carbon-fibre-look trim elements, ambient lighting, illuminated door sill panels and special floor mats.
The GLA range starts with the GLA 200, which is now powered by a 1.3-litre turbopetrol engine with 120 kW (5 kW more than the previous 1.6-litre unit) and 250 NM of torque and comes mated with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Fuel consumption is claimed at 6.0-5.7 L/100 km.
Meanwhile, the GLA 200d is powered by a 1.95-litre turbodiesel engine that produces peak outputs of 110 kW and 350 Nm in conjunction with an 8-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. In this case, Mercedes-Benz claims a fuel consumption of 4.8-4.6 L/100 km for the diesel derivative.
- Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function (including passenger).
- Multi-contour Seat package.
- Lane Tracking package (includes blind-spot assist, active lane-keeping assist, telephone aerial and exit-warning function).
- Driving Assistance package (includes Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC, Active Steering Assist, exit-warning function, Pre-Safe system and route-based speed adaptation.
- Keyless-Go Comport package (includes handsfree access, keyless entry & start and Easy-Pack tailgate in conjunction with PAD).
- Leather package & dual-tone AMG leather package.
- Parking package with reversing camera (includes Active Parking Assist with Parktronic).
- Parking Package with 360-degree camera (includes Active Parking Assist with Parktronic).
- Night package (includes roof rails in black and heat-insulating dark-tinted glass).
- Engineering package, includes adaptive damping suspension, Keyless-Go, larger brake discs on the front axle, Adaptive High-beam Assist Plus and Multibeam LED headlamps.
- MBUX Innovation package (includes head-up display and MBUX Interior Assistant).
- Navigation Connectivity package (includes hard-disc navigation and pre-installation for Navigation Services).
- Energizing package (includes Extended MBUX functions, 10.25-inch media display, Advanced Sound System or Burmester® surround sound system, heated front seats or Climatised front seats, as well as ambient lighting)
- Energizing package Plus (includes Multicontour Seat package, dual-zone climate control, Advanced Sound System or Burmester® surround sound system, 10.25-inch Media display, Heated front seats or Climatised front seats, as well as Ambient lighting).
Mercedes-Benz GLA: Price in South Africa
All Mercedes-Benz derivatives are is sold with a 2-year/unlimited km warranty and a 5-year/100 000 km maintenance plan.
GLA 200 R674 000
GLA 200d R710 000
Original Story by www.cars.co.za