The parents of the 21 victims of the Enyobeni tavern incident in East London in the Eastern Cape in June last year have welcomed the start of an inquest into their children’s deaths.
The inquest, which is being held at the East London Regional Court, will resume on the 11th of this month when the state will reveal the contents of the docket. The aim of the inquest is to establish if anyone can be held liable for the deaths of the young people. More than 30 witnesses are expected to give evidence.
Speaking on behalf of the parents of the deceased children, Khululekile Ncandana, said the inquest would help them to find closure.
Investigation continues following the Enyobeni tavern tragedy
“We think this will highlight and show exactly what happened to our children,” Ncandana said. “We would love to find closure, but this has been quite difficult because nobody has been charged for the death of our children and the case that is before the court is for selling liquor to under-aged children, but the main one is the death of the children.”
The Enyobeni Tavern tragedy on June 26, 2022, claimed the lives of 21 young people, all of whom were between the ages of 13 and 17. The cause has not yet been determined, but initial investigations have suggested that it may have been caused by a gas leak.
The inquest is expected to last several weeks.
Enyobeni tavern tragedy I Parents continue to mourn victims
Original Story by www.sabcnews.com