Six people charged with aiding and abetting convicted rapist and murderer, Thabo Bester, to escape from the Mangaung Correctional Centre will apply for bail in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday and Friday.
This will be the second attempt for the accused to apply for bail. Their case was postponed last week after the arrest of two more people allegedly involved in Bester’s escape.
The six accused will among others have to convince the court that they are not a flight risk, nor will they tamper with state witnesses.
Legal analyst Thabo Molete says the matter of bail application will be determined by their personal circumstances. Molete says the seriousness won’t make things easy for the accused to get bail.
“You remember that one of the accused was apprehended somewhere in Africa so there is a likelihood that once she is admitted to bail she might escape again or flee. So based on those I’m saying that some might get bail but there are those that we know that won’t get bail.”
Bester’s lover Dr Nandipha Magudumana and former G4S employees, Senohe Matsoara, Teboho Lipholo, Motanyane Masukela and two latest arrests Tieho Makhotsa and Natassja Jansen all face charges of aiding and abetting a convict to escape as well as defeating the ends of justice.
Magudumana also faces a charge of violating a dead body.
VIDEO | Dr Magudumana, five co-accused to apply for bail:
Original Story by www.sabcnews.com
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *